As businesses become increasingly international in nature, there are more and more issues that need to be considered when choosing how to enter and operate within multiple jurisdictions.
Providing employees with the financial means by which to retire is becoming increasingly significant, particularly as life expectancy and regulation increase and the proportion of retirement income likely to be provided by the state decreases.
It has never been more important to work with a legal partner who understands the issues you are likely to face and has the breadth of experience to guide you. Eversheds’ international retirement benefits team is market leading and award winning. We provide quality pensions legal advice in our domestic markets and coordinated advice across multiple jurisdictions.
With almost 100 lawyers across Europe, the Middle East and Asia, and trusted partner firms in the United States and elsewhere, we have the depth and coverage to assist our clients with any retirement benefits issues they may experience, wherever they have operations and regardless of national boundaries. We go beyond simply advising on the law. We are actively involved with some of the most influential industry organisations in this area, including the UK Pensions and Lifetime Savings Association, Pensions Europe, the International Pension and Employee Benefits Lawyers Association (IPEBLA) and the European Insurance and Occupation Pensions Authority (EIOPA). This keeps us actively involved in shaping pensions law and policy across Europe, rather than simply reacting to it. This, in turn, keeps both us and our clients ahead of the curve.
Our collective legal experience, our global project management and our influence at national and international policy level, means that we are able to future-proof our advice and help you better prepare for, and manage, your obligations and risks in this evolving area.
Our recent experience includes:
• advising on the pensions aspects of international Merger & Acquisitions, pre, at and post deal, including benefits harmonisation across jurisdictions
• executing retirement benefit plan change, closures and wind-ups in a range of different countries
• managing pension requirements for an internationally mobile workforce, including guidance on taxation and local law requirements and establishing plans for globally mobile employees
• developing creative pension plan funding solutions, including advice on funding structures designed to utilise corporate assets to manage cashflow
• helping to develop an international compartmentalised defined contribution retirement fund across multiple EU jurisdictions
• acting for insurers and trustees on bulk annuity policies, including writing standard terms for insurers and developing, alongside a leading benefit consultancy, a product for sale to trustees consisting of pre-negotiated terms with insurers