Retailers are under particular pressure to reduce their impact on the environment.
In addition to existing compliance requirements such as packaging waste (which many retailers now have to address on a multi-jurisdictional basis), retailers face new challenges with the recent introduction of The CRC Energy Efficiency Scheme, the UK only mandatory carbon trading scheme. Increasingly retailers are having to focus on their energy consumption, as energy costs rise and landlords look to introduce “green lease” type provisions in leases.
We advise on issues including:
• producer responsibility (WEEE, batteries and packaging waste)
• energy performance of buildings
• CRC Energy Efficiency Scheme including helping retailers to assess their responsibilities and comply in a cost effective way
• renewable and clean energy
• advice in relation to contaminated land
• environmental risk by buyers, sellers and funders in corporate and property transactions
• environmental insurance.