Coronavirus | Further announcement for the hospitality sector
25th June 2020
The Government has today made a further announcement to support the hospitality sector in response Covid-19. It has outlining proposals in the draft Business and Planning Bill to help pubs and restaurants make use of outdoor spaces for the coming summer.
We are yet to see the draft bill but we understand that these proposals announced today include:-
- Fast tracking the application process for Street Café/ Table and Chairs licences from local authorities from 28 days to 5 working days, and consent will be granted after 10 working days if the council does not issue a decision.
- Application fees for Street Café/Table & Chairs licences to be reduced to £100
- Premises Licence holders authorised for sale of alcohol for consumption on the premises only will automatically be entitled to provide sales of alcohol for consumption off the premises to enable home deliveries, takeaways and use of external areas during the hours that alcohol is already permitted for sale. This entitlement will not apply if the Premises Licence holder had had permission for an application for an off licence refused or taken away in the last 3 years.
- The requirements for a planning application for outdoor markets and marquees will not be required.
- For current calendar year only, the time limits in the existing right for the temporary use of land will be doubled from 14 days to 28 days for holding a market or motor car and motorcycle racing, and from 28 days to 56 days for any other purpose. This is to make it easier to host markets, stalls, marquees, car boot sales and summer fairs.
A copy of the announcement can be found here.
It is hoped that, together with a collaborative approach from local authorities, these measures may help to provide some flexible use of outdoor space as the hospitality sector adjusts to its new ways of operating to provide customers with a Covid-19 safe environment.
For further information or licensing advice please contact:-
David Roberts | Head of Licensing & Gambling | 0775 596 524 | email@example.com