Technology at Eversheds Sutherland
1st April 2018
The consumer sector is in the midst of the fourth industrial revolution. Advances in technology enable connected consumers anywhere in the world to book, order and compare prices with just one click or swipe. Consumer demand has pushed businesses across the sector to innovate and invest heavily, simply in order to remain competitive in an increasingly challenging market. From increasing efficiencies through automation, artificial intelligence and smart warehouses to providing ‘customer experiences’ through virtual and augmented reality allowing customers to see how clothes will suit them or furniture that will fit in their homes.
Why Eversheds Sutherland?
- We advise 7 of the top 10 global retailers
- We advise 6 of the top 10 global FMCG companies
- We advise 6 of the top 10 leading European consumer goods companies
- We advise the firms behind 16 of the top 20 global consumer brands
- Ranked Tier 1 for Retail by Chambers year on year
Our international consumer team has a wealth of experience within the sector and is well resourced to support your business through the opportunities and challenges of an ever-evolving marketplace.
Our experience includes:
Data protection / GDPR
- advising a Premier League football club on its agreement with a global SaaS provider for the creation of an on demand customer relationship management service to support its relationship with 700 million supporters globally, with a specific focus on data privacy and GDPR compliance.
- advising a Japanese based global technology company and a group of affiliated retailers on the data protection and cyber security ramifications of the potential use of in-store beaconing technology that would allow customer location to be tracked in real-time.
- advising a “data-heavy” high street brand on a civil claim for compensation following a data breach, with a view on the wider political and legal landscape and consequences.
- advising a major global retail business on its partnership with a third party managed service provider to outsource the PCI DSS compliance aspect of its telephone and online card payments.
- advising a leading UK retailer on the upcoming Geo-Blocking Regulations and the impact this would have on the provision of goods and services through its websites registered with domains throughout the EU. The report specifically addressed the implications of Brexit on the Regulations and any technical adaptations necessary for the company to make in order to comply.
- advising a client on its ‘smart’ factory, covering automated picking and packing
- advising a retailer on the adoption of AI systems in their back office
- negotiating a deal for a retailer using telematics in their lorries to improve their supply chain
- advising a major UK retailer with the review and negotiation of various IT agreements, including an agreement for the provision of a cloud based data back-up solution, SaaS agreement for pensions payroll services, an agreement for the implementation of a business critical new stock management system to replace legacy technology, hardware supply, support and maintenance agreement, software licences in respect of robotic process automation software and store planning, product categorisation, assortment and range software and agile development services.
The consumer sector is in the midst of the fourth industrial revolution. Advances in technology enable connected consumers anywhere in the world to book, order and compare prices with just one click or swipe.